A lot of people utilize Gmail as their email provider, but want the convenience of outlook for managing their email. This is done in a couple different ways. This explanation will cover both IMAP and POP
Automatic Configuration for both IMAP and POP
- First log into your Gmail account and open the Settings panel. Click on the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab and verify IMAP is enabled and save changes.
- Next open Outlook 2010, click on the File tab to access the Backstage view. Click on Account Settings and Add and remove accounts or change existing connection settings.
- In the Account Settings window click on the New button
- Enter in your name, email address, and password twice then click Next.
- Outlook will configure the email server settings, the amount of time it takes will vary.
- Provided everything goes correctly, the configuration will be successful and you can begin using your account.
Manual Configuration of IMAP
If the above instructions don’t work, then we’ll need to manually configure the settings.
- Go into Auto Account Setup and select Manually configure server settings or additional server types and click Next.
- Select Internet E-mail – Connect to POP or IMAP server to send and receive e-mail messages.
- Now we need to manually enter in our settings similar to the following. Under the Server Information section verify the following.
- Account Type: IMAP
- Incoming mail server: imap.gmail.com
- Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.gmail.com
- Next, we need to click on the More Settings button…
- In the Internet E-mail Settings screen that pops up, click on the Outgoing Server tab, and check the box next to My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication. Also select the radio button next to Use same settings as my incoming mail server.
- In the same window click on the Advanced tab and verify the following.
- Incoming server: 993
- Incoming server encrypted connection: SSL
- Outgoing server encrypted connection TLS
- Outgoing server: 587
- Now we want to test the settings, before continuing on…it’s just easier that way incase something was entered incorrectly. To make sure the settings are tested, check the box Test Account Settings by clicking the Next button.
- If you’ve entered everything in correctly, both tasks will be completed successfully and you can close out of the window. and begin using your account via Outlook 2010.
- You’ll get a final congratulations message you can close out and begin using your account via Outlook 2010.
Simplicit Technologies is a Los Angeles IT services provider, click here for more information about our company.