IT Support Technicians play an important role in an organization. They are responsible for maintaining an organization’s IT infrastructure, ensuring that all computers, network connections, and software are working properly.
With the constant evolution of technology and the need for companies to digitize their systems, IT Support Technicians are currently in high demand. Over the years, technology has emerged from being an optional tool to being an essential part of the company’s operations. All businesses require IT support, regardless of their size.
In this guide, we will go over:
- The roles and responsibilities of an IT Support Technician.
- Education and the most common certification requirements.
- How to get started without previous work experience.
Roles and Responsibilities of IT Support Technicians
IT Support Technicians perform a number of tasks related to maintaining the IT environment of a business. Here are some of these responsibilities:
- Manage the organization’s overall IT infrastructure including network and desktop support, servers, firewalls, storage devices, routers, cloud-based applications, and mobile devices.
- End-user technical support
- Conducting periodic software updates. Ensure that programs are updated with the latest software.
- Cybersecurity management, such as endpoint protection and training staff on how to prevent and handle security threats.
- Monitor users’ digital activities such as incoming and outgoing emails and website visits.
- Installation and setup of desktop computers, servers, and peripherals, as well as network testing.
- Liaise with the procurement department in matters of technology purchases.
Generally, IT Support Technicians have a bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology, or a related field. Furthermore, some certifications are also required to become a Desktop Support Technician. As determined by the company you intend to work for, certification requirements differ. The following are the most sought certifications:
- CompTIA A+ Certification
- CCNA Cisco Certificate Network Associated Security
- CompTIA Security+ Certification
- Network + Certification
- MCTS (Microsoft Certified Technical Specialist)
- MCITP (Microsoft Certified IT Professional)
- MCSA (Microsoft Certified System Administrator)
- CISSP (Certified Information Systems Security Professional
The following is a list of traits that could prove beneficial to you
A role in IT support can be challenging, and it would take certain personal qualities to succeed in such a position.
- Various technological challenges are faced every day. Being able to tackle complicated issues and having good analytical skills is a good quality to have.
- As you will be dealing with people with different personalities and will have to multitask, being patient will be a great asset.
- Being able to communicate effectively with the users you support is an added benefit, so you should have good communication skills.
How to get started as an IT Support Technician
Most employers are looking to hire someone with previous work experience. If you do not have any previous employment experience on your resume, it will be very difficult to get hired. Here are some tips to help you get started as an IT Support technician without any previous work experience.
- Internship– Getting an internship is a great way to kickstart your career in IT. Find internship opportunities through college job fairs, internship websites, or by contacting companies directly.
- Volunteer– Look for opportunities to volunteer in the community. Contact local nonprofit organizations, churches, and schools to see if they need IT support. You can then add that experience to your resume.
- Use Past Experience – Re-examine your previous employments. Highlight skills that you used with previous work that are relevant to the IT support position. For example, If you were a customer service agent, you might not have IT troubleshooting experience, but you have customer service experience.
- Networking– You might be surprised at how valuable your connections are. Employers are more apt to hire someone by recommendation than by interviewing a group of random people. Utilize social media and your list of contacts to connect with anyone you know in the IT industry.
Simplicit Technologies is always on the lookout for new talent. Would you also like to become a part of our team? You can check out our Career Page to see the list of our open positions.